Behavioral questions focus on specific examples from past performance as indicators of your future performance. An interviewer often will take many notes. Behavioral questions will be more focused than traditional interview questions, so you need to respond with specific examples of how you handled situations in the workplace. The PAR response works really well for these kinds of questions. The PAR format is one of the best interview strategies for providing quality information to hiring decision makers.14 Anticipate questions like:
- Give an example of a goal you didn’t meet. How did you handle it?
- Describe a stressful situation at work. How did you handle it?
- How do you work effectively under pressure?
- How do you handle a challenge?
- Have you ever made a mistake? How did you handle it?
- Describe a decision you made that was unpopular. How did you implement it?
- Did you every make a risky decision? Why? How did you handle the situation?